the next twelve to eighteen months, Heeling Allies will be privately
training service dogs for teenagers and young adults between the ages of 15 ~ 25
with Tourette Syndrome. This program modification is effective as of August 1, 2013.
Mental Health Service Dogs open doors for people with psychological disabilities.
Unleash Your Potential.
Imagine having a dog that could help you become a part of the world again.
Heeling Allies specializes in privately training Mental Health Service Dogs for qualified individuals with neurological disorders, mental illness, developmental disorders, intellectual disorders, and other psychological conditions that rise to the level of a disability.
Enhanced Quality of Life and Personal Freedom.
Heeling Allies Service Dogs are highly trained to enhance the lives of their handlers by helping them to live independently. Each Heeling Allies Service Dog is tailor trained to meet the specific needs of the individual with whom they will be placed. These talented dogs are trained to help their handlers within the home, as well as outside of the home.
Heeling Allies, Mental Health Service Dogs are trained to perform tasks that help ease debilitating symptoms of some psychological impairments.
include, but are not limited to, Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD),
Acute Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder, Agoraphobia, Obsessive
Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Generalized Anxiety Disorders, Mood Disorders, Asperger Syndrome, and Tourette Syndrome.
Listed below are examples of some of the many tasks Mental Health Service Dogs can be trained to do for their handler.
- Assist handler within their home.
- Assist handler in places of public accommodation (e.g. grocery stores, shopping malls, public transportation, and etc.).
- Remind their handler to take medication.
- Wake handler for school or work.
- Assist in coping with emotional overload by bringing handler into the “here and now.”
- Provide a buffer or a shield for the handler in crowded areas by creating a physical boundary.
- Extinguish flashbacks by bringing handler into the here and now.
- Orient during panic/anxiety attack.
behind handler to increase feelings of safety, reduce hyper-vigilance,
and decrease the likelihood of the handler being startled by another
person coming up behind them.
of the benefits to owning a Service Dog extend beyond having the dog's
assistance with certain tasks. Such benefits are inherent in the
human-canine relationship and often include:
- Relief from feelings of isolation.
- An increased sense of well-being.
- Daily structure and healthy habits.
- An increased sense of security.
- An increased sense of self-efficacy.
- An increased sense of self-esteem.
- An increased sense of purpose.
- Mood improvement, and increased optimism.
- A secure and uncomplicated relationship.
- A dependable and predictable love, affection and nonjudgmental companionship.
- Encouragement for social interactions.
- Reduction in debilitating symptoms.
- Greater access to the world.
- Around the clock support.
Careful. Extensive. Quality. Unparalleled.
Heeling Allies Mental Health Service Dogs extensive formal training before being placed with their recipient. Your Mental Health Service Dog will be tailor trained to help you with your individual needs. Service dogs in-training learn to master advanced obedience skills and public access skills, so that they may accompany you in places you need support the most, such as: college or work place, grocery stores, malls, restaurants, airplanes, and buses. Heeling Allies Service Dogs are also trained to perform tasks which are unique to you as an individual.
"Now I can go freely into
stores once again and not feel as if everyone is pressing in around me.
People automatically give us a wider berth and when it does get
crowded, Blue presses up against me which automatically turns my
attention to him rather than the crowds. I had forgotten what this
type of freedom felt like."
- L.R., and Heeling Allies Service Dog, Blue.
Heeling Allies is located in Seattle WA, and trains Mental Health Dogs for individuals nationally.
Currently Serving: Washington State & Upstate New York
© 2008-2014 Heeling Allies. All Rights Reserved.